Monday 28 November 2011

Winter Skin Saviours

When the decision to stay in alone with a mug of hot chocolate overrides going to the pub with the girls for a cider you know winter has set in. The best you can do is embrace the coldness like an old friend and take the opportunity to chill out and drink sh*t loads of hot chocolate - with added whipped cream. Now I know the media are trying to tell us November is the warmest it has been for years but I'm sorry it's still freaking freezing.

Although I do like the cold - when I'm fully prepared and wrapped up to every inch of my life - I don't like the effect it annually has on my already dry and sensitive skin. As a sufferer from Eczema, I have always been unfortunate in my skin in that it dries out really easily. A simple cold can leave Rudolph jealous of my gleaming beacon of a nose, and possibly not so jealous of the crusty bits that seem to take a lifetime to disappear.

As I became more aware in the correct way to look after your skin and treat it with the importance it deserves, I realised just how important it is to adapt your skincare regime to the climate around you. Going from a central heated office to the freezing outdoors is going to cause stress to the skin and leave it looking dull and dry - which is why it is so important to have a very moisturising skincare regime for the winter months.

Moisturising is the key part to your routine in the winter and you should do it up to three times daily. My favourite moisturiser for winter is Avene Hydrance Optimale Riche (£13.50). Now I just want to make it clear that I do work with Avene, but this in no way sways my opinion, nor am I writing this post on behalf of the company. This post is 100% my own view.

Phew now that's out of the bag...Avene is the perfect winter product. It contains the famous Avene Thermal Spring Water which is extremely gentle and soothing on the skin, and hydrates dehydrated, dull-looking skin. This product is available from Boots and is a winter must-have! I really do love it and find that it keeps my skin feeling comfortable and supple even on the coldest of days.


As part of your must-have kit for winter I also believe you should have a good eye cream to keep those peepers bright-eyed in those dark mornings. Use Clinique All About Eyes under the eyes each morning and night. This lightweight formula helps to diminish puffiness and dark circles. £23 available from most department stores and online http://www.clinique.co.uk/products/1683/Skin-Care/Eye-Lip-Care/index.tmpl

Another necessity for the winter is a good serum to keep your skin glowing - my favourite is Clarins HydraQuench Intensive Serum. This intensive rehydrating serum is perfect for even the toughest winters and will ensure your skin maintains its moisture levels to keep you looking gorgeous. It's pricey at £39 but worth it. http://www.clarins.co.uk/

Also invest in a good tinted moisturiser to keep a bit of a summer glow on your face, there's nothing worse than being caked in make-up with crusty dry skin hiding underneath - no amount of make-up can hide dry skin unfortunately. The best tinted moisturiser I've ever tried is Chanel Hydramax +Active Teinte in Sand (for fair skin). This moisturiser is great because it has SPF 15 in it and also great coverage. It has patented technology in it which means that the skin is able to hold moisture, so your skin is comfortable and moisturised from start to finish. The easy to apply moisturiser is the perfect product for me and even at £33.50 I will buy this product again and again.

Hope this has helped ladies. Get glowing this winter! x





No comments:

Post a Comment