Thursday 8 January 2015

Best products and top tips for managing Eczema

Trust me when I say, I know what you are going through. I have had Eczema since I was a baby and unfortunately still suffer today, despite doctors telling my mum it was something I would 'grow out of''.

When I was younger it was really severe and I even spent three separate weeks in hospital because the doctors didn't know what else to do - I couldn't walk because it was all over my joints and if I stood up straight it would all crack and weep and put simply it was excruciating. And yet, that desire to scratch was still there. That horrible, irritating, constant desire to literally rip your skin to shreds.

As a naive child, my time in hospital was awesome! I didn't feel unwell I just couldn't walk properly so I just saw it as a chance for some time off school! But looking back I realise how incredibly sad it actually was because a lot of the time I was the only person on my ward and I spent a lot of time on my own, I think I was only about 7/8. I do remember one time there was a little girl who came into the hospital and she used to ask me to eat all her cheese sandwiches, which I had absolutely no problem with! However now I'm older I piece everything else about her together and think she must have had an eating disorder and I was her enabler by eating all her food for her! So please accept this as my apology if you're reading.

Every morning, noon and night the nurses would make me have a bath in potassium and something else (can't remember all the sciencey terms) and then I would be wet-wrapped from head to toe, I was literally a mummy. Wet wrapping is where you moisturise the skin thoroughly and use steroid creams where necessary and then using tubigrip you put one wet layer on and then put another layer of dry tubigrip over the top. This is the only thing that has ever rid my Eczema. If you have young children with Eczema I highly advise you try this as you physically cannot scratch the skin.

My poor mum and dad used to spend so much time wet wrapping my skin before school and before bed. My mum used to take me to countless doctors and try every single cream, even Homeopathy and reflexology to try and get rid and I really couldn't be more grateful for their efforts.

Unfortunately I still very much have Eczema and it hasn't got any better as I get older which is a shame but it's just something that I accept now and get on with. Of course it doesn't stop me from getting embarrassed if someone asks me about my rash on my hands, or when people ask if they can catch it (No dear, you can't).  I currently have it on my legs, hands, arms and now annoyingly my stomach.


One thing I have learnt is how to manage my eczema better, I accept that my skin will be bad in the winter and so I try and look for nice winter outfits that cover my skin. In the summer I know the sun does wonders for my skin so I brave it and I get out my legs for the fresh air and sunshine. In my head I think everyone is staring at my legs, and yes there probably are a few glares but I try to ignore the comments in my head as they are probably my worst critic. Hey, Kim Kardashian has Psoriasis and rocks it, so we can too!

One thing I struggle with is the constant feeling of irritation. I have never really thought about it until recently but I'm constantly feeling uptight and frustrated because I always have a distressing feeling of itchiness somewhere on my body - If anyone has a way to overcome this constant irritation that isn't drink or drugs related please do let me know!

I've literally used all the prescribed creams and steroid creams known to man and have never really found any of them to be fantastic. But I have found some high street options that I have found to keep my skin moisturised and keep my Eczema manageable. I'm not saying they've cleared my Eczema, unfortunately no cream has but they definitely help make it more comfortable. I will link to where to pick them up online.

First up is the cream I'm using at the moment is Aveeno Skin Relief Lotion from Boots. It is formulated with Shea Butter and a unique Triple Oat Complex, I'm not sure what that means but it must be good because it definitely keeps my skin feeling moisturised and soothes my eczema instantly. Normally at this point in the year my Eczema is unbearable and quite painful to walk, but this year it is not too bad (see picture above, taken this morning) and I put it down to this cream. I am starting a new job in February so I assume that it will flare up then as stress is a major factor for my Eczema but I'm hoping that if I keep this cream by my side it won't get too horrendous. I've just re-read this and now I'm thinking you probably think my legs look gross in the picture and the cream doesn't work at all,but trust me it gets MUCH worse, this cream has definitely helped. http://www.boots.com/en/Aveeno-Skin-Relief-Lotion-200ml_983786/

Another thing I use all the time which I think is a total godsend is the Avene Water Spray. I spritz this on any parts of my body that are itching at the time (usually all of it) and then  count to ten in my head. I usually find that this soothes the itch and my little head count calms me down so I don't feel the need to start hacking at my skin. http://www.boots.com/en/Eau-Thermal-Avene-Water-Spray-150ml_1586/

This is another one from Avene, it's the cold cream body lotion which has all the soothing properties of the water but in a lotion form. It really helped to keep my Eczema at bay even during a really stressful time in my life. I would highly recommend this lotion, especially for kids because it's so gentle on the skin. I've seen that Avene has brought out another cream for Eczema, XeraCalm, but I haven't had a chance to try that just yet. If anyone has please let me know what you thought. http://www.boots.com/en/Eau-Thermale-Avene-Cold-Cream-Body-Lotion-400ml_1250059/

My final product is the coconut body butter from the Body Shop. I always think this shouldn't work because it's got fragrance in it but it just does. I wouldn't say it's the best of the bunch but it's certainly a runner-up. Plus, it smells delicious. http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/bath-body-care/best-sellers/coconut-body-butter.aspx

These creams have helped me but that's not to say they're for everyone. Perhaps you could contact the company and ask for samples before you buy. Or sometimes brands like to do research on their products so why not follow them on Facebook / Twitter and look out for opportunities to test any new products for Eczema.

Something else that I find helps is to wear cuffed pyjamas to bed - it makes it harder to get to your Eczema when you're asleep, which tends to be the worst time for scratching for me. You can pick up some really cheap ones from Primark and it definitely helps to minimise the scratching. I also used to have some little blue cotton gloves that my mum used to make me wear to bed - I used to feel like a little magician going to bed and of course would never wear them on sleepover (oh the horror!) but they definitely helped. Sometimes if I'm really going for it at night and I wake myself up scratching I just put socks on my hands and this seems to work. I know I sound like a lunatic but these little things do make a bit of a difference - every little helps, right?

I remember watching an episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians when Kim Kardashian discovered she had Psoriasis and she had a camomile bath - I've tried this and it is soothing on the skin. Plus, having a bath is relaxing which calms your stress, which calms the itching I find.

I hope this post has helped, even if it helps just one person then I'll feel good because I really do know exactly what you're going through. Eczema is a total bitch and I hate it so I'm urging you all to share your top tips with me and others so we can all manage it better! Please do comment below or send me a message on Twitter.

Thank you xx



No comments:

Post a Comment