Saturday 17 September 2011

Gelac disaster

I've always thought that nails are quite an important part of a woman's appearance - the look of your nails can tell what type of person you are! During my early years at university I started getting acrylic nail extensions, which at the time I thought were amazing. They gave me the constant feeling of glamour and made me feel so much more feminine. Saying that, when they started chipping and peeling they looked hideous and took a lot of money to maintain - clearly not a great choice being a student. So I decided to go au naturel and try to look after my own nails by using vitamin e creams and getting all the potions necessary to have great nails.

I soon got bored of this and having heard recently about Gelac nails I decided to give them a go. Biggest mistake ever. The process of putting them on is ok, the gel dries pretty quickly so you can do things after that you can't normally do after normal nail varnish. Also, the nails did look very glam when they were first finished. I opted for a french manicure so it would go with every outfit, under the impression that it should last for up to 14 days.

I was very much misinformed. My nails started chipping after the first couple days and looked so horrible after about 4 days that I had to take them all off. When I decided to get Gelac I was also told that your nails underneath would be strengthened - however when I took mine off (properly) my nails were very weak and peeling underneath! I'm now back to square one with my natural nails, trying to strengthen them again, and more than likely going to weaken them with my next great beauty idea!

So if you want my advice ladies stay away from Gelac. Shellac is the same idea but may be more conditioning for your nails and have longer lasting power. I may have to try and let you know!

My rating for Gelac: 2/10 - Looked great to begin with but peeled too quickly and left my nails weakened underneath.

1 comment: