Monday 19 January 2015

Diet Schmiet. I'm making a lifestyle change!

So I'm attempting to start the new year off well by watching my weight, drinking more water and just generally eating well. My brother's wedding has now been confirmed as next January and I'm thrilled to have been asked to be bridesmaid! However this does mean the weight loss really does need to start today... unfortunately.

Now I'm not saying I'm obese, but I have about a stone to shift and I need to work hard to tone up as well and just generally eat more good stuff. I'm a big supporter of the strong not skinny movement (thank you Millie Mack) and really believe that females bodies look amazing when they've been sculpted and nurtured through eating well and a bit of hard work. Saying that, those who know me well will know that most of the time I'm all talk and no action - every year I say I'm going to lose weight and every year I seem to put on just a few more pounds. But I've finally got my act together thanks to my granddad. I was having dinner with him and he told me I was 'cuddly'. Well, thanks Granddad. Thanks a lot.

I'm now part of a diet club at work and we have all put in £5. The person who loses the most weight (based on % lost from the beginning weight) after six weeks takes home the cash, which is £40 in total. This is a great incentive and has definitely helped to spur me on.

The only diet that has ever worked for me is the Dukan diet. This is where there are different phases where you cut out quite a lot of food and slowly introduce it back into your diet through different phases. I like this diet as a short-term quick fix diet, but personally I don't think it is sustainable. Last time I did the Dukan I lost around 7 pounds in just under two weeks before I went to Ibiza. You literally just eat lean meat, cottage cheese, eggs and natural yoghurt. It's pretty dull and yes, I did cry into my 5th omelette of the week, but it does work if you need to lose weight quick.

When you look at weight loss simply you just need to eat less and move more. It sounds simple doesn't it. So why is it so hard?! I think the key is getting your brain in on the plan - it can be your worst enemy. I've saved images of the body I want to achieve so I remember when I'm not feeling motivated that I want to look like this... Thanks Sam Faiers for the motivation!



I have decided that instead of calling my weight loss a diet, I'm calling it a lifestyle change! I know the way my brain works and if I call it a diet I will just be constantly waiting for my diet to end, whereas a lifestyle change is forever more and incorporates exercise and drinking more water.

I've researched lots of different 'lifestyle changes' and the one I'm going for is the popular 5:2. A friend at work did it for over a year to lose weight for her wedding and she looks immense. I've read lots about this and it makes sense to me in how it works and I can still have my little luxuries that I enjoy (bread, crisps, pizza, strawberry and lime cider, need I go on...).

I have been doing this for just over a week now and have so far lost 3 pounds. I've bought a 2 litre bottle of water that I fill up each day at work because water is known to aid weight loss and is obviously amazing for your skin and internal organs.I've also been more conscious about what I'm eating thanks to a new book, Eat Pretty by Jolene Hart, which is teaching me what to eat for a glowing complexion. I might do a little cheat sheet on here for you guys so look out for that.

I will continue to update you on my progress and I'd love to hear of your weight loss successes!






No comments:

Post a Comment